There is a thing such as negative SEO. SEO or search engine optimization is performed on websites to increase their rankings in the Google search engine page. However, SEO can also be used performed to decrease the rankings of a website. This is known as negative SEO. Negative SEO techniques can decrease the rankings of any website on Google.
This a very unethical practice certainly and falls under the category of black hat SEO techniques. In fact, black hat SEO techniques are used, except on other websites. In simplest terms, a negative SEO attack completely destroys the rankings of a website in Google
Why is Negative SEO used?
There are quite a few companies that use negative SEO techniques to gain an unfair advantage over their rival companies, which are usually more popular. These companies are unscrupulous and will often resort to morally shady procedures such as negative SEO to get ahead. These companies are unable to fight fair and square. The negative SEO techniques make it seem like a website has been optimized using spam links and other poor SEO procedures. The Google search algorithms will recognize these spammy techniques and penalize the website. After all, the algorithms cannot differentiate between a negative SEO attack and an improper SEO.
Characteristics of a Negative SEO attack
A negative SEO attack can take on many forms. However, ultimately, the reputation of the company is destroyed.
- The website is hacked and then optimized or rather, de-optimized, using spam SEO techniques and black hat practices.
- Fake social network profiles are created which are then used to spread wrongful information about the website and company in general. In other words, the online reputation of the company is completely wrecked.
- Backlinks are created to the website but they are of a poor quality and filled with spam. Broken backlinks are another common scenario.
- The good backlinks of the website are deleted along with the best keywords.
- Plagiarizing the content of the site by copying it across various websites across the internet.
- Spam links are linked to the website.
Prevention of Negative SEO Attack
Due to the severe harm that a negative SEO attack can wreck in your website, it is important that preventive measures are taken as soon as possible. Through preventive measures it may be possible to stop the attack completely or, at least, limit the damage done to the website.
- Google Webmaster Tools need to be set up properly in your website. Ensure that you have the email notification system on so that you can get notified immediately when changes are being made.
- Keep a track of the mentions you are getting on the various social media channels. If false information is being spread, you may be able to counterattack them.
- Backlinks are important and you need to monitor them on a regular basis. Remove spam links as soon as you locate them.
- Ensure that all your original content is copyrighted so that it cannot be plagiarized.
Negative SEO attacks can completely undermine the hard work you have done in your website. Prevent them from occurring and you may be able to enjoy a thriving business. We found this great infographic via techmagnate outlining methods how you can save your site from bad competitors.